23 Sept 2011

Friday - follow fun and series that I love


Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee’s View and Alison at Alison Can Read. If you want to participate, it's easy. To learn more and enter, check out: Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. Join the fun and make some new friends!



Q. Do you have a favorite series that you read over and over again? Tell us a bit about it and why you keep on revisiting it?


Often I find myself revisiting favorite series when I need a bit of comfort-reading. It feels like hanging out with old friends and it makes me feel safe and happy. Incredible what books can do really. The series that I keep coming back to are very different and I love them for different reasons.

The Elenium Series by David Eddings
Following the adventures of Sparhawk and his brave friends as they try to save Queen Elena is such an adventure. I love Sparhawk for being such a battered, grumpy thing who can swing into action at a moments notice and beat the bad guys. Another favorite character from this series is Sparhawk's horse, a gruff creature which can definitely hold its own in a battle. Not a horse to mess with.

Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery
I have loved Anne since I was a ten years old spelling my way through Anne of Green Gables and since then I have loved red hair with a passion. Anne has helped shape the way I think about things - especially about family and friends and the importance of giving all people a chance. She is not just a character from a series, she is a role model.

The Hellesta Saga by Margit Söderholm
This is truly a family saga that spans years (nearly a century) as we follow the family who lives at and around the stately home Hellesta in Sweden. It all starts with a young girl who gets married off to an older man that she doesn't like, brokenhearted she toils to make money enough to buy her old childhood home Hellesta so that it can stay in the family. My favourite books are the ones that centres on Will Anckarberg, her youngest son, who gets his heart broken by the cold and ambitious Julie and then marries her sister, the mild Annette and has a brood of children that all grow up and have their own romances and adventures. If you like historical romance that is well-written and full of emotions then this is for you.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Guess I don't have to explain why :-) It is just one of the best series ever writtten and I love it to bits. However, I never read book five "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" if I am feeling down or in a bad mood because it is such an emotional book for me and yes I do sometimes cry when I read it...

And staying with the magical theme, if I look into the future, I will probably end up re-reading the Discovery of Witches trilogy by Deborah Harkness many times.

12 comments:

  1. I really am going to have to read Harry Potter one of these days! Love the blog - you've read a really interesting and eclectic selection of books. I'm following :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophia - and yes I can really recommend Harry P. It is a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! Harry Potter is by far the best series ever =) I haven't read any of your other book choices but they sound great.

    Following back =)
    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a real fan of eddings. I love reading Polgara. :)

    My Friday!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for stopping by & following! I'm now following you too! I haven't read any of the other novels, but have read Harry Potter...great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, new follower here - Love your blog!

    I've only read Harry Potter, but the others sound great! In fact they are now being added to my TBR list, thank you for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-15-updates-and-some.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. I haven't heard of the Hellesta saga. It sounds really interesting. I'll have to look more into it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to agree with Harry Potter. Amazing series!!!

    Awesome post, new follower:D

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting, Willa! I *love* Anne of Green Gables! I actually re-read that series this past summer and I still loved it just as much! Great choice! And I'm totally with you on Harry Potter - that was on my list too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read Anne in Green Gables in SO long, and so far today this is the second time I've seen it mentioned - it really makes me want to re-read that first one and then read the rest of the Anne books as well.

    I totally agree with you about a re-read book being like a friend you turn to for comfort and familiarity; I'm the same way, and Jane Austen's books are that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to reread Anne of Green Gables a lot too. I never did read the whole series though - maybe I should one day.

    Following you back now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your great comments!! :-)

    ReplyDelete