8 Jul 2011

Too many books at once - does it happen to you?

When I visit a bookshop, I am like a kid in a candy store. I want to grab everything and limiting myself to buying just one book - or buying none! - seems impossible. Luckily, I manage though, otherwise my home would be like a library... Lately though, I have been starting to read a lot of books, then losing focus and starting on another one. This really is a terrible habit and cannot be recommended. I will use this post to try and get an overview of which books I am currently reading and hopefully this will stop me from starting on more until I have finished these.
Here we go:

Schooling by Heather McGowan
I have been wanting this book for a long time and now finally got my hands on it. It is the story of 13-year old American girl Catrine who is sent to an English boarding school and it is written in a stream-of-consciousness style that is quite powerful.



Repeat It Today With Tears by Anne Peile
A stunning debut novel set in London in the 1970's where a young girl becomes obsessed with finding the father she has never known. So obsessed that she seduces him.



The Enchantment of Lily Dahl by Siri Hustvedt
A coming of age story about Lily Dahl, a Minnesota waitress and aspiring actress.



Horns by Joe Hill
This one was featured on Amazon's Best Books of March 2010 list and I have heard a lot of good stuff about it. Ignatius William Perrish (love the name!) wakes up after a night that he hardly remembers and have grown horns. And that is not all that has changed about him, people are now telling him those things that they are normally too embarrassed to share with others.



Now that I have summed it up, it doesn't seem so bad. I was sure that there were more on this list. Wonder if I have left any out...
What are you reading at the moment?

3 comments:

  1. This happens to me at the bookstore, too. I get overwhelmed and excited and if I'm in a rush, I can't focus on just one book. I want them all. Sometimes I don't finish them, like you, too. Currently I'm reading Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad. I'll let you know how it is!

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Repeat It Today With Tears. The other three you mention are on my endless TBR. I find I read faster, or rather find more time to read, when I focus on one book. I do usually plan which book to read next, so it's almost a race to get to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these books have been on my wishlist for a while now too. Hope you are enjoying your reads and look forward to the reviews!

    ReplyDelete