7 Jun 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Superb Settings


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish and I love participating in it!!
This week's theme is favorite book settings - something that is not appreciate as much as it should be, if you ask me. So here we go:

10) Avalon - from "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Enchanting and full of magic

9) Italy - as portrayed in "Jamie Oliver's Italy". I know featuring a cook book is a bit different but the Italy Jamie Oliver's describes using words and pictures is so yummy that I had to :-)

8) Bon Temps and the rest of Sookie's Louisiana - from the True Blood series by Charlaine Harris. I have never been but it is on my list of places to see.

7) Brick Lane - from "Salaam Brick Lane" by Tarquin Hall. Brick Lane is one of the best streets in London. So full of life and adventures. And "Salaam Brick Lane" tells the story in a way that leaves you wanting more Brick Lane.

6) Avonlea - from "Anne of Green Gables" by L. M. Montgomery. When I was a kid I really wanted to go there on vacation and I still do actually. The descriptions from the books make it sounds like the most idyllic, beautiful little village, I so want to visit to Prince Edward Island.

5) Forks - from "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. I have actually been to Forks and holidayed at La Push and let me tell you, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Not Forks - La Push is. The nature is so raw and strong. Also I think the setting is one of the redeeming features of the book.

4) The underbelly of London - from "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. I love it that the area names are actually used. An earl lives in the Earl's Court etc. It is such an imaginative way of using geography.

3) Andalucia - from "Driving over Lemons" by Chris Stewart. I've read this book four times just to enjoy imagining the Andalucia described by the author.

2) Siena - from "Love Falls" by Esther Freud. Siena is such a beautiful place. I have been there and in the surrounding area on vacation and you have to see it if you go to Italy. It is amazing. Really amazing. And "Love Falls" is a great book by the way.

1) Hogwarts - magical!!! I wish that I had created the world of Hogwarts. It is the most astonishing, wonderful fictional setting ever.

8 comments:

  1. Italy and Hogwarts both made my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they are good choices :) I've seen them on quite a few lists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one here I'm familiar with is Avonlea - it does sound idyllic, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the list! I'll have to check out some of those books on your list, as well!
    New Follower.
    Yay Hogwarts!

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Trish: It does :-) I have to go to PE Island some day.

    @Em: Welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could find me anywhere between Avalon, Italy, Forks, and Hogwarts. Perhaps a super cool combination of all three...? Love those places!

    And thanks for stopping by the blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I've always wanted to go to PEI because of Anne as well, and I even live in Canada. But it's still quite a way to get there! Hopefully someday.

    ReplyDelete