16 Mar 2011

Worst simpering females in fiction



We all know them, the simpering, inane, worthless, boring females in fiction that character-I-love-to-hate, are supposedly heriones but who are really just bloody useless. I was reminded of them when I reat this article about pathetic female film charaters in The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/08/pathetic-female-film-characters

So now I am in the mood for my own personal collection of fictions's females-I-love-to-hate:

Bella Swann from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
She just had to be on the list didn't she? I mean really, she does seem to be the most opinionless, fantasy lacking female character I have seen around for a long time. Her main hobby involves going Jacob? Edward? Jacob? Edward? and she seems incapable of making friends that are not really her boyfriends' friends. Sorry people but Bella is an awful role model for modern females.

Mrs. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Never marry a woman purely for her beauty - beauty fades with age but folly and silliness are character traits that don't fade as easily as looks... As Mr. Bennett had to realise in Pride and Prejudice. Yes, Lydia is bad but at least her youth is somewhat an excuse, Mrs. Bennett is just as bad and has no real excuses. Hated her for being so close to ruining Jane's and Elizabeth's lives but loved her for the drama and humour she brought to the book.

Erin and Shaunee aka The Twins from The House of Night series by Kristin and P.C. Cast
These two annoyed me from the very beginning and it only got worse. Honestly, they don't seem to be capable of thinking a single thought that is not about boys or shopping. They are supposed to be the main protagonist's close friends and allies - really they are just a waste of space.

Becky Bloomwood from the Shopaholic seris
by Sophie Kinsella.
This character makes me want to vomit as she stumbles through life and a large variety of shops wielding her collection of credit card as if they were weapons. Her professional success is based solely on luck and that fact that she manages to find a boyfriend baffles me as her egoistic and spoiled behaviour is really rather repelling.



If you want to feel free to post your own rant about pathetic female characters and link to it here :-)

13 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you about Bella and the twins from the House of Night series, they're all so annoying! Bella especially. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella is really the worst female character, probably because she's supposed to be heroine that you identify with. No personality, so self-worth (unless tied to a guy) just all around awful.

    Mrs. Bennet isn't someone you'd want to model yourself after either, but at least she had some reasons for her behavior. And she had a personality so at least she's interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for whiny characters of any kind...but especially female whiny characters...I have 3 daughters, 2 of them teenagers so I've seen and read all the Twilight stuff. I absolutely HATED the 2nd book where Bella just decides she doesn't want to live anymore since Edward is gone. WHAT??? And the entire book was devoted to her trying to kill herself?????? Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did always wonder what Luke saw in Becky in the Shopaholic series. But they are my guilty pleasure, even though I know they are terrible.

    I haven't had the pleasure of Twilight yet, but will read it at some point if only for the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I usually avoid this type of 'heroine' so no passionate rant from me :D But I do agree about Bella, grr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella certainly belongs on the top of the list. Drives me nuts! You hit the ones I would have picked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I avoided all Twilight material just because of Bella.. what a terrible example of a heroine! And there are a few Austen women like that- there's one in Sense and Sensibility that is particularly "silly".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I related to Becky quite a bit in the first Shopaholic book! But I've heard a lot of others express this sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Calla Tor from Nightshade. Ugh. Marianne Dashwood, although she manages to redeem herself. I'm sure that more will come to me, but those two popped up immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems to be some agreement here that Bella is just too much and too winy. It's too bad really, I wonder how possessive Edward would have reacted if he was with a girl who dared to stand up her herself?
    And Peppermint Ph.D., I agree, she is a serious pain the butt in book 2.

    Couchpotatocritic, I actually considered Marianne Dashwood as well but you are right, she does redeem herself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat idea. Bella, ugh. I couldn't read anymore after the first book because she just seemed so pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by to let you know I love your blog and would like to pass along One Lovely Blog Award. Check it out by clicking on the link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Robyn, that is really nice of you :-)

    ReplyDelete