3 Feb 2011

Teaser from "The Rachel Papers"


I am almost done reading "The Rachel Papers" by Martin Amis and I really really like it! During my reading I stumbled over a cool quote that defines the book for me and that I want to share with you as a teaser:

"One of the troubles with being over-articulate, with having a vocabulary more refined han your emotions, is that every turn in the conversation, every switch of posture, opens up an state of vernal avenues with a myriad side-turnings and cul-de-sacs - and there are no signposts but your own sincerety and good taste, and I've never had much of either."

Page 154, "The Rachel Papers" by Martin Amis

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Willa!
    Cool blog, and a great selection of books. I'm a new follower (Varsha)
    http://www.fictionflaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, The Rachel Papers. I read this a few years ago and i really didn't like it! It had some good parts and I liked the sarcastic, dark comedy but I just found it to chauvinistic! And Rachel was annoying.

    That Vintage cover is awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Vasha :-)

    Madbibliophile, I agree the cover is gorgeous and yes Rachel herself is pretty annoying. I like the book though!

    ReplyDelete